'A Greedy Man in a Hungry World' by Jay Rayner - My Review

I bought this book (the fancy signed copy and all) quite a while ago, and due to essays, exams, and a whole load of other excuses it has taken me a while to finish it. But having (finally) finished reading Jay Rayner's tongue in cheek view on the food forecast of the future, I can recommend it to each and every one of you.
Rayner's basic argument seems to be that siding with one way of growing/producing/transporting/selling/eating is a no-go. That's right, farmers markets and locally sourced may in some cases be worse for our planet than shipping in lamb and vegetables from abroad (New Zealand specifically), the vegetarians don't have the final word when it comes to saving the planet, and GM crops could be a way forward. There was plenty of content in this book that surprised me, that educated me with regards to food security, and in places repulsed me (see the chapter "Something To Chew On" for abattoir details, and you'll get what I mean).
The main points that I took from this book were these:

There are so many more points I could discuss with regards to this book. I love that it made me think: it made me question how we view our food. Some of Rayner's ideas I don't fully agree with- for example packaging in supermarkets. It makes sense to get rid of it and have loose apples, I buy loose apples from the age old market next to my uni, but in supermarkets? I have seen (and told off, and then been told off by the parents of) screaming brats throwing food at each other in Tesco. Do I really want them picking up my apples and throwing them around? Of course not. If no packaging in supermarkets became a thing I would want all produce out of all sprogs' clutches. But I have to admit that while supermarkets would need a major re-think in child proofing stores, us humans get used to things very quickly. This would be absorbed into our culture. Maybe children would become better behaved in supermarkets as a result- who knows? The power of social media has a lot to contribute to this: if YouTubers (the newest celebrities) began tweeting and facebooking about how they love buying loose produce from Asda, in place of WholeFoods, then who knows what might happen. IG a picture and we could have a revolution on our hands.
The financial implications of Type-2 Diabetes are mentioned on page 276: each diabetic costs £900 per year to treat. I'll attempt a bit of maths here (I'm sorry in advance): the NHS website (http://www.nhs.uk/Conditions/Diabetes-type2/Pages/Introduction.aspx) reckons that by 2030, 4.6 million people could have diabetes, with 90% having the type-2 variation. So, 90% of 4.6 million is 4140000 people. 4140000 x 900, means that by 2030 we could be spending £3726000000 on treating people with type-2 diabetes. That is ridiculous. That is appalling. That money could pay for my degree 138000 times over. It could be redirected into improving our food supply and used to invest in food security. It could possibly buy me an island complete with monkey butler (I tried to confirm this, but those island estate agents are quite cagey).

So, if anything this book made me think. And it was honest. I like honest. I like Rayner's anecdotes, candid approach to his own views, and the amount of research that must have gone in to writing this. And I have to admit, the tag line of the book was right: almost everything I thought I knew about food was wrong.

Labels: , , , , , , , , ,